A healthier twist on the traditional crumble recipe. This slice is packed with fibre from the apples, healthy fats from the walnuts, and vitamin E from the ground almonds. It is absolutely divine served warm with unsweetened yoghurt.
• 170g butter, softened • ½ cup brown sugar • 3 free range eggs • ¾ cup GF baking mix • 1 cup ground almonds • 1 tsp. mixed spice • ½ tsp. ground cloves • ½ cup sultanas • 3 apples, thinly sliced • 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped • Walnut halves (to top)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 25cm slice pan with baking paper.
2. In a cake mixer, combine the softened butter and sugar until creamy. Then add in the eggs, baking mix, almonds and spices. Continue mixing until combined.
3. Fold through the sultanas, walnuts, and approximately 2/3 of the sliced apples.
4. Pour the mixture into the dish. Top with the remaining apple and walnut halves.
5. Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 – 45 minutes until golden and cooked through.
Nutrition information Per serving (makes 16 squares)
Calories (kcal) 252
Fat, total (g) 18
Fat, saturated (g) 4
Carbohydrates (g) 18
Sugar (g) 13
Dietary fibre (g) 2
Sodium (mg) 63