Nineteen Nutrition Questions with ANGIE PETTY
Hi team! I am Angie Petty and I love running. I am 28 years old and have been running for a club since I was 12, when I got my first coach. I always dreamed of going to the Olympics and made it come true when I competed in the 800m at the 2016 Olympics in Rio. I have also represented NZ at three World Champs and two Commonwealth Games so far. Because I am a middle distance runner, I need lots of endurance and lots of speed work in training so do a lot of fast interval sessions right up to 20km runs in training. I am now focusing on next years delayed Olympic Games in Tokyo.
1. Your go-to pre-race meal?
Peanut butter and jam on toast or rice around 3 hours before then a banana closer.
2. Favourite recovery food?
Banana berry smoothie (soy milk) with plant protein powder.
3. A food or fluid you can’t be without during a race?
Water and I like to sip on a sports drink before the race. Also don’t like going without my banana haha
4. The best piece of nutrition advice you have been given?
Have a good balance of carbs, protein and good fats and some treats are fine!
5. Foods you cannot stand?
Sea food or really spicy.
6. Three foods you could not live without?
Chocolate, gluten free bread, bananas.
7. Favourite local café?
C1 Espresso, city centre (Christchurch).
8. Favourite foodie destination (can be worldwide)?
Tea on the Green, Westward Ho!, England
9. What’s the first thing you consume in a typical day?
Peanut butter and jam on toast or gluten free cereal and water.
10. What is your favourite weekend breakfast?
Waffles for a treat
11. What is your go-to lunch?
Gluten free sandwich or avocado on toast.
12. What is your ultimate dessert?
Waffles with Nutella and fruit
13. Favourite recipe book?
Two Raw Sisters
14. Sweet or savoury?
15. Favourite fruit or vegetable?
Raspberries, grapes, mandarins and avocados
16. Food you used to dislike and now love?
17. A dish that is made frequently in your household is…
18. Cooking – love it or hate it?
Not a huge fan but do enjoy baking!
19. A top tip you would give other fellow athletes (doesn’t have to be food related)?
Make sure you fuel yourself well, we need a lot of calories as athletes and don’t be afraid to have some treats!
And Make sure you have lots of support around you and don’t be afraid to ask for help!