Gemma McCaw is a member of the New Zealand Woman’s Hockey team and is currently training for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Gemma has played 254 test caps and is a three time Olympian and dual Commonwealth Games medallist.
With a degree in Sport and Exercise Science and a Diploma in Positive Psychology and Wellbeing, Gemma co-founded Performance Wellbeing, and is passionate about working with individuals and groups to enhance their health and wellbeing.
Gemma is the proud patron for the Chalky Carr Trust which raises funds for those affected by cancer and is also a New Zealand Olympic Ambassador, visiting schools and teaching students about the importance of friendship, values and respect in sport and in life.
1. Your go-to pre-game meal?
Boiled eggs and Avocado on Vogel’s!
2. Favourite recovery food?
Choc- PB smoothie (Frozen banana, cacao, cashews, protein powder, ice, almond milk, yoghurt and peanut butter).
3. A food or fluid you can’t be without during a game?
4. The best piece of nutrition advice you have been given?
You can't out train a bad diet.
5. Foods you cannot stand?
6. Three foods you could not live without?
Avocados, eggs, bananas.
7. Favourite local café?
Park Ranger (Best poached eggs with tomato relish and the staff are super friendly).
8. Favourite foodie destination (can be worldwide)?
9. What’s the first thing you consume in a typical day?
10. What is your favourite weekend breakfast?
11. What is your go-to lunch?
Leftovers or a toasted wrap filled with salad and meat.
12. What is your ultimate dessert?
Chocolate self-saucing pudding.
13. Favourite recipe book?
Love them all.. Nadia Lim, Two Raw Sisters and any Chelsea Winter book for entertaining!
14. Sweet or savoury?
15. Favourite fruit or vegetable?
16. Food you used to dislike and now love?
17. A dish that is made frequently in your household is…
My Salmon dish.. Grilled salmon topped with paprika, olive oil and lemon zest served with a bed of rice, edamame beans, onion, avocado, carrots, cucumber.
18. Cooking – love it or hate it?
19. A top tip you would give other fellow athletes (doesn’t have to be food related)?
There are no shortcuts to a place worth going!