I've been competing in triathlon for many years now. I started off as a runner and after a few years of competing I unfortunately developed a bad stress fracture which put me out for a year. This made me pick up swimming and biking and I enjoyed having the variety of disciplines. Triathlon naturally progressed from this starting off with Olympic distance then moving up to the long course. I spent five years chasing summers and racing in Europe and the USA before settling down in NZ to enable me to work and to race the Asia-Pacific races. The last few years I've been adding in adventure racing in China. My last full professional race was Ironman NZ in March 2020, now it's time to do some other things.
1. Your go-to pre-race meal?
Night before - Falafel's, root vegetables on either rice or buckwheat.
2. Favourite recovery food?
Peanut butter and banana on toast sometimes jam as well (pretty much all condiments in the cupboard on toast).
3. A food or fluid you can’t be without during a race?
Water and Pure Electrolyte Hydration. Ironman - Coke on the run!
4. The best piece of nutrition advice you have been give?
A variety of wholefoods is key.
5. Foods you cannot stand?
I'm not a meat fan.
6. Three foods you could not live without?
Rice, oats, coconut cream.
7. Favourite local café?
Ruelle Eatery (Christchurch).
8. Favourite foodie destination (can be worldwide)?
9. What’s the first thing you consume in a typical day?
Coffee and porridge simultaneously.
10. What is your favourite weekend breakfast?
I have porridge with many toppings every day.
11. What is your go-to lunch?
Leftovers, I always make twice as much dinner.
12. What is your ultimate dessert?
I have a hot protein drink for dessert most nights rather boring but I'm usually too full from my main.
13. Favourite recipe book?
Recipe books tend to make me angry or frustrated if I don't have the ingredients so I like to do my own thing.
14. Sweet or savoury?
15. Favourite fruit or vegetable?
Pears or raspberries.
16. Food you used to dislike and now love?
17. A dish that is made frequently in your household is…
Vegetable Enchiladas with cashew cheese.
18. Cooking – love it or hate it?
19. A top tip you would give other fellow runners (doesn’t have to be food related)?
Recovery is key! Getting a mix of protein and carbs in within that 30 min window really does help for the next session or days training.