Nineteen Nutrition Questions With SAM CLARK
Sam is one on NZ’s premier endurance athletes, and has won four Coast to Coast titles and competes frequently in things which are “ long and hard” - including ultramarathons, expedition races and Ironman Triathlons.
1. Your go-to pre-race meal?
Rice, usually just plain with salt and sometimes with an egg tossed through.
2. Favourite recovery food?
I’m a big fan of Radix Performance meals when I’m training toward an important race. I’m also a big fan of Salt and Vinegar Kettle chips.
3. A food or fluid you can’t be without during a race?
Energy gels, electrolyte solution (basically salty water ). I have learned that I can drink much more fluid and consume more carbs by separating them.
4. The best piece of nutrition advice you have been given?
To map out my carbohydrate consumption for a race, based on 75 - 100 grams of carbohydrate per hour depending on the discipline. It is hard work to eat enough during a race, and most athletes fall well short.
5. Foods you cannot stand?
6. Three foods you could not live without?
Eggs, beans, greens.
7. Favourite local café?
Fixation Espresso (Tauranga).
8. Favourite foodie destination (can be worldwide)?
Gratitude eatery at Mt Maunganui.
9. What’s the first thing you consume in a typical day?
I start the day by drinking around 800ml of water with a pinch of salt or some electrolyte solution.
10. What is your favourite weekend breakfast?
Poached eggs on toast, although it isn’t just confined to breakfasts.
11. What is your go-to lunch?
Usually whatever is left over from last night.
12. What is your ultimate dessert?
If I have to make it: Banana-Avocado whip (1 banana and half an Avo blitzed together and frozen).
13. Favourite recipe book?
Recently I was given a whole stack of recipes from “Kiwi Kai Box” which have been fantastic.
14. Sweet or savoury?
15. Favourite fruit or vegetable?
16. Food you used to dislike and now love?
Liver, brussel sprouts, asparagus.
17. A dish that is made frequently in your household is…
Black bean nachos!
18. Cooking – love it or hate it?
Love it. Cooking a delicious meal and then eating it is incredibly satisfying.
19. A top tip you would give other fellow athletes (doesn’t have to be food related)?
Proper hydration and sleep will do more for your recovery than any product you can buy.